The privacy of our website visitors is very important to us, and we are committed to safeguarding it. This
policy explains how we use personal data collected on the website.
If you have questions about this policy, how we collect or process your personal data, or anything else
related to our privacy practices, we want to hear from you. You can contact us at any time.
Distant Journeys, Inc.
PO Box 1211
Camden ME 04843
Collecting personal information
The following types of personal information may be collected, stored, and used:
- Information about your computer including your IP address, geographical location, browser type and
version, and operating system
- Information about your visits to and use of this website including the referral source, length of visit,
page views, and website navigation paths
- Information, such as your name, email address, phone, and mailing address, that you enter when you
request information or make a trip reservation on our website
- Information that you enter while using the services (such as online chat, for example) on our website
- Information that is generated while using our website, including when, how often, and under what
circumstances you use it
- Information relating to anything you purchase, services you use, or transactions you make through our
website, which includes your name, address, telephone number, email address, and credit card details
- Information contained in any communications that you send to us by email or through our website,
including its communication content and metadata
- Any other personal information that you provide to us.
Before you disclose to us the personal information of another person, you must obtain that person’s consent
to both the disclosure and the processing of that personal information in accordance with this policy
Using your personal information
Personal information submitted to us through our website will be used for the purposes specified in this
policy or on the relevant pages of the website. We may use your personal information for the following:
- Administering our website and business
- Personalizing our website for you
- Enabling your use of the services available on our website
- Sending you goods purchased through our website
- Supplying services purchased through our website
- Sending statements, invoices, and payment reminders to you, and collecting payments from you
- Sending you non-marketing commercial communications
- Sending you email notifications that you have specifically requested
- Sending you marketing communications relating to our business which we think may be of interest to you,
by post, email or similar technology. You can inform us at any time if you no longer wish to receive
- Providing third parties with statistical information about our users. Those third parties will not be
able to identify any individual user from that information, except where noted in Section "Cookies"
- Dealing with inquiries and complaints made by you relating to our website
- Keeping our website secure and preventing fraud.
We will not, without your express consent, supply your personal information to any third party for their or
any other third party’s direct marketing.
Disclosing personal information
We may disclose your personal information to any of our employees, officers, insurers, professional advisers,
agents, suppliers, or subcontractors as reasonably necessary for the purposes set out in this policy.
We may disclose your personal information:
- To the extent that we are required to do so by law
- In connection with any ongoing or prospective legal proceedings
- In order to establish, exercise, or defend our legal rights (including providing information to others
for the purposes of fraud prevention and reducing credit risk)
- To the purchaser (or prospective purchaser) of any business or asset that we are (or are contemplating)
- To any person who we reasonably believe may apply to a court or other competent authority for disclosure
of that personal information where, in our reasonable opinion, such court or authority would be
reasonably likely to order disclosure of that personal information.
Except as provided in this policy, we will not provide your personal information to third parties.
International data transfers
- Information that we collect may be stored, processed in, and transferred between any of the countries in
which we operate in order to enable us to use the information in accordance with this policy.
- Information that we collect may be transferred to the following country which does not have data
protection laws equivalent to those in force in the European Economic Area: the United States of
- You expressly agree to the transfers of personal information described in this Section "International
Retaining personal information
- This Section "Retaining personal information" sets out our data retention policies and procedure, which
are designed to help ensure that we comply with our legal obligations regarding the retention and
deletion of personal information.
- Personal information that we process for any purpose or purposes shall not be kept for longer than is
necessary for that purpose or those purposes.
Without prejudice to Section "Retaining personal information" item 2 above, we will usually delete
personal data falling within the categories set out below at the date/time set out below:
- We retain personal information related to transactions (including purchases and price quotes)
indefinitely unless data removal is requested as described in Section "Your rights"
- We retain all other personal information indefinitely, though this policy is currently under
information, however, may be requested by you at any time (see Section "Your rights")
Notwithstanding the other provisions of this Section "Retaining personal information", we will retain
documents (including electronic documents) containing personal data:
- To the extent that we are required to do so by law;
- If we believe that the documents may be relevant to any ongoing or prospective legal
- In order to establish, exercise, or defend our legal rights (including providing information to
others for the purposes of fraud prevention and reducing credit risk).
Security of your personal information
- We will take reasonable technical and organizational precautions to prevent the loss, misuse, or
alteration of your personal information.
- We will store all the personal information you provide on our secure (password- and firewall-protected)
- All electronic financial transactions entered into through our website will be protected in transit by
- You acknowledge that the transmission of information over the internet is inherently insecure, and we
cannot guarantee the security of data sent over the internet.
We may update this policy from time to time by publishing a new version on our website. You should check this
page occasionally to ensure you understand any changes to this policy. We may notify you of changes to this
policy by email.
You may instruct us to provide you with any personal information we hold about you, free of charge. Provision
of such information will be subject to the the supply of appropriate evidence of your identity. For this
purpose, we will usually accept a photocopy of your passport certified by a notary plus an original copy of
a utility bill showing your current address.
You may instruct us to delete any personal information we hold about you, free of charge. Deletion of such
information will be subject to the supply of appropriate evidence of your identity. For this purpose, we
will usually accept a photocopy of your passport certified by a notary plus an original copy of a utility
bill showing your current address.
We may withhold personal information that you request to the extent permitted by law.
You may instruct us at any time not to process your personal information for marketing purposes.
In practice, you will usually either expressly agree in advance to our use of your personal information for
marketing purposes, or you may contact us at any time to opt out of the use of your personal information for
marketing purposes (see Section "Contacting us" above).
Third party websites
Our website includes hyperlinks to, and details of, third party websites. We have no control over, and are
not responsible for, the privacy policies and practices of third parties.
Please let us know if the personal information that we hold about you needs to be corrected or updated.
is sent by a web server to a web browser and is stored by the browser. The identifier is then sent back to
the server each time the browser requests a page from the server. Cookies may be either "persistent" cookies
or "session" cookies. A persistent cookie will be stored by a web browser and will remain valid until its
set expiry date, unless deleted by the user before the expiry date. A session cookie, on the other hand,
will expire at the end of the user session, when the web browser is closed. Cookies do not typically contain
any information that personally identifies a user, but personal information that we store about you may be
linked to the information stored in and obtained from cookies. We use both session and persistent cookies on
- The names of the cookies that we use on our website, and the purposes for which they are used, are set
- We use Google Analytics cookies on our website to recognize a computer when a user visits the website in order to track users as they navigate the website. Cookie names: these vary as determined by Google.
- We use a cookie on our website to recognize a computer while a user is visiting the website in order to enable the use of our online chat feature. Cookie names: phplive_vid
- We use a number of other first-party cookies on our website to recognize a computer while a user
is visiting the website in order to enable the use of a shopping cart, improve the website’s
usability, personalize the website for each user, or target content which may be of particular
interest to specific users. Cookie names: _csrf-frontend, advanced-frontend
- Most browsers allow you to refuse to accept cookies. Please consult the help pages of your particular
- Setting your browser to refuse to accept cookies may have a negative impact upon the usability of our
website. If you do block cookies, you will not be able to use all the features on our website.
- You can delete cookies already stored on your computer. Please consult the help pages of your particular
web browser for instructions if you wish to delete cookies set while visiting our website. Deleting
cookies will likely have a negative impact on the usability of this website
- We do not support the Do Not Track browser option.